Wednesday 17 March 2021

Worthless Bicycle Pinched in Shepherd's Bush


Like many people in Shepherd's Bush, I like to cycle around the neighbourhood, but I don't have any storage for my bike, so I leave it chained up in the street. 

Knowing the problem of bicycle theft in London, my solution has always been to own an ancient bike that no-one in their right mind would bother to steal; in my case, an ancient Raleigh ladies bike of uncertain vintage.

To be doubly sure that no-one would steal my not-at-all-valuable bicycle, I bought two strong locks to protect each wheel; the locks cost me more than the bike did.

Alas, it was all in vain. Yesterday morning thieves cut through the chain, left the bike itself, and took the back wheel.  Why they didn't bother to take the whole bike is a mystery - it must surely be worth more together than in pieces.

Shall I report it to the police? Obviously not. There isn't any point, even though the street is covered by CCTV.  Anyway, it's my own fault. What sane person would leave a bicycle in the street in Shepherd's Bush, and expect it to be safe?

Nowadays, not even worthless old rubbish is safe from thieves. 

The Bush Telegraph offers a personal view on life in Shepherd's Bush. If you would like to contribute a story, email us at shepherdsbushblog@gmail.com. And don't forget to add your opinion in the comments section below.



No comments:

Post a Comment