|The Bush Theatre - closing in March|
The project is scheduled to take just under a year, and during this period the Bush will be closed to the public.
They start work at the end of March 2016 and hope to open the redeveloped Bush Theatre to the public at the start of 2017.
Who is designing the new renovated building?
The architects are Haworth Tompkins, whose projects include the redevelopment of the Young Vic, National Theatre and the Liverpool Everyman.
What are the main changes?
The big changes will be:
- A new street level entrance and glass corridor opening on the west side of the building (that's side facing Shepherd's Bush Market). This will "ensure the building flows from foyer to street".
- Disabled access. The building will be "fully accessible for everyone, with new platform lift connecting all floors and wheelchair ramp leading right into the foyer".
- a new Studio theatre – which will "form a pivotal part of the Bush’s artistic vision. It will be a new home for emerging artists – embedding a generation of writers, performers and creative talent into the fabric of the building".
- More and better seats. The Bush Theatre will be "making the experience more comfortable", and "increasing capacity of the theatre by up to 20%".
- Renovations. The Bush theatre "will be carrying out urgent repairs and maintenance to their historic building, alongside green cleaning and restoration work". They will also be "carrying out a programme of works to make the building greener and more sustainable – including new glazing and a “living” roof".
Yes. They need to raise £4M to "unlock the potential" of the building, and to "provide audiences, artists and the local community with a 21st century theatre".
How much do they need?
They are "nearly 90% of the way there", but there is "still a way to go" and they "need your help to secure the future".
Where can I find out more?
You can find out more about the project here, though you won't find much in the way of specific plans. https://www.bushtheatre.co.uk/our-plans
Where will the theatre move in the meantime?
The Bush Theatre will be "hit the road" for a season that "breaks out of the building" into [as yet unspecified] "iconic and rediscovered spaces in West London".
To find out more or to ask any questions about the project, e-mail Cat Gray. email@example.com
The Bush Telegraph offers a personal view on life in Shepherd's Bush. If you would like to contribute a story about our neighbourhood, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.