Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Should Hammersmith & Fulham Declare Independence?

According to our Council, the residents of Hammersmith & Fulham bucked the national trend in the recent referendum by a wide margin, voting 70% in favour of remaining in the European Union. Just 30% voted to leave, on a high turnout of almost 70%.  Hammersmith & Fulham Council Leader, Cllr Stephen Cowan also sought to calm the nerves of anxious Europeans in our neighbourhood. He said that the Council "wants to send a very clear and very warm message of welcome to the thousands of EU citizens that have made our borough their home."

“We are deeply grateful for the businesses they’ve started, the hard work they do, and for how our culture has been enriched because they have chosen to live with us in our beautiful corner of West London. We will do everything we can to ensure all of the borough’s EU residents feel as welcome today, and each day thereafter, as they did yesterday.  We in H&F will continue to work hard to support local businesses and do everything in our power to fight for the prosperity and well-being of all who live here.”

Perhaps, like London's new mayor, we should declare ourselves independent from the rest of the United Kingdom? Then we could have our very own referendum.

The Bush Telegraph offers a personal view on life in Shepherd's Bush. If you would like to contribute a story about our neighbourhood, email us at shepherdsbushblog(at)gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment