Monday 26 April 2021

Humans of Shepherd's Bush - No 15

Meet Gary Rawlings, the finest window cleaner in Shepherd's Bush.  Gary knows everyone in our neighbourhood; his family have been in the area since 1880; his great-grandfather was a local coffin maker.

Today, Gary cleans the windows of the Bush with rain water he collects in his garden - purer than water from the mains, and better for your windows. 

Gary is a busy man and his order book is pretty full - but his inside-and-out service is well worth the wait.

"My family have been in Shepherd's Bush since 1880. We came to London from Cornwall; my great-grandfather was a joiner; he built coffins for an undertaker on the Uxbridge Road.  Today I clean windows all over London, but many of my customers live in Shepherd's Bush. On weekends I don't sit at home and drink beer - I gather rain water from the garden.  Rain water is purer than water from the mains; it cleans your windows better and keeps cleaning them. It's more work for me, but it's worth it for my customers."

The Shepherd's Bush Blog offers a personal view on life in Shepherd's Bush. If you would like to contribute a story about our neighbourhood, email us at shepherdsbushblog(at)gmail.com

 



No comments:

Post a Comment